Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The "thought loop"....a mother's mind

With this "blogger" introduction, I am amazed at the torrid of thoughts that started flowing through this meager brain. So many experiences to share, so many thoughts to expound upon! As the years go by, it seems like there are more and more answers given to life's "challenges" and just as many questions that arise.

As I ponder some of the questions and answers, many times I end up in, what I like to call, a "thought loop". This loop circulates in a never ending tirade of positive and negative factors. Let me give you a couple of examples:

Consider death. As a christian, death is to be celebrated (to be absent from the body is to be ever present with the Lord)! How can we be sad about that? Eternally with our maker in a "heavenly" environment. Free from heartache, pain, troubles, bills, you name it- GONE! But at the same time, the death of a loved one or close friend can be devastating. How can we let them go? We will miss them sooo much....how will we survive without them? See the loop? Let them go, want them to stay...which is the best option? What if they are both viable choices? Hence my "thought loop".

On a lighter note, let's consider raising children (kids in my book, no matter how old they are!). You want them to learn and become independent. I was always telling my girls to "Spread your wings, "Don't be afraid to try new things" and "You can be ANYTHING you want to be". Well, once they grew, learned a few things, got the faith to believe all the "teachings of Momma", they flew. I still say that the cruelest thing a kid can do is allow us parents to raise them, provide for them and support them in every given way, then LEAVE US! Another example of a thought loop...how can you prepare a kid for LIFE and they be dependent and not dependent upon you in the process???? The million dollar question...If I stay or if I go....

I surely don't think I am the only mother/grand-mother who thinks along these lines. We are all "Women", great warriors of our families. We are "trouble-shooters" of the most prestigious kind. Our attributes are endless, but at the end of the day, the SIMPLE PLEASURES keep us going. I still like:

~ When my kids are home during visits and everyone is tucked in for the night, the peace that overwhelms me....they are safer with me than anywhere in the world! At least that's what I think...:)

~ That my kids call me at least once a day (sometimes multiple times!). It is very hilarious at times when my younger says, "Don't leave me, don't leave me", when she calls and I am in the middle of an important meeting..... just hate telling them I'm busy, you know?

~ When we all get together and when trying to figure out where to eat and the kids say, "Mom, how bout fixing D!@#$%^&* (whatever favorite meal they have) and we would rather stay in and enjoy "family time" than go out.

~ How the kids always ask our (their father and I's) opinion even if I know they have made up their minds about a decision. Nice to know they respect our input.

These are just a few of the "pleasures" I enjoy. There are MANY more. Everyday I feel abundantly blessed to have been able to have children, that God has allowed them to grow into amazing women and that they still treasure their upbringing. REFLECTIVE? Yes, I am...I have a thankful, blessed, reflective heart....do you?

I want to know what situations in life put you into a "thought loop". Also, let me know what "simple pleasures" bring pure joy to your spirit! That is what this mother's blog is all about....hearts connected!

4 comments:

  1. Girl!!! So proud of you!!!

    It's so fun to hear your thoughts. You're such an awesome woman and mother and friend AND SIS! :)

    Can't wait to hear what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Miss Girly Muse! You are my true inspiration....thanks for waking this "sleeping" grannies thoughts enough to share them....forever indebted fo sho! BS:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So if thinking about "simple pleasures" brings joy to your spirit. Isn't that a fruit loop? Hey congratulations on your new endeavor. Looking forward to the daily read.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Al, thanks for the daily "smile" that I am sure you will be sending my way....If I only had your "wit", I would be a better writer! Send all your thoughts and philosophies my way, you hear? Love much:)

    ReplyDelete