Monday, April 13, 2009

The "Best Part"


The "middle of an Oreo"
Front row seats at a "must-see" concert
The first bite of a creamy cheesecake
Marrying the "guy of your dreams" (and realizing he is worthy of the title!)
these are just a few examples of "choosing the best part" of life. Sure, life is full of choices, but it is up to US, which part we allow to lead our lives.

In the Bible, there is a wonderful story told of two sisters. They were very different in temperament and personality. Their names were Mary and Martha.

The Bible mentions them in Luke 10:38-42:
38 Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.

39And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.

40But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.

41And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:

42But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

You can tell by the brief description, that Mary was very attentive to Jesus. Choosing the "I'll just get my mind on Jesus and forget about my troubles for now" part. In John 11:1, the scripture says the this was was the "same one who poured perfume on the Lord and wiped his feet with her hair." This was someone who knew how great Jesus' forgiveness was and was able to "demonstratively" show it! I call her the "Receiver", for Mary knew that to be able to give, she must first receive; receive forgiveness for herself, receive instruction, receive love...enough to give away without "running out".

Martha, on the other hand, was all about "getting the job done". I call her the "Giver". She went in to make sure that preparations were made to feed her guests. Not understanding why she was working alone, she asked Jesus to have Mary come help her. He told her that she was troubled (concerned, worried, anxious) about many THINGS....just stuff....nothing that would "last". He reprimanded her and told her that her sister chose "the good part"....everlasting choices, lasting "things" that could not be taken away. Eternal rewards...

When I first studied these passages, I couldn't quite understand how GIVING could be anything but the "right thing". I was always taught that it was right, holy and "blessed to give than to receive"(Acts 20:35) . But after studying, I realized that God was trying to say that we need to desire him FIRST, then give, and our giving would be much more enhanced by adding his "instruction and teaching" in the mix.

Thus, the picture of "Giver" and "Receiver". In watching people lately, I can easily label them into one of the the proceeding categories.

GIVER- The "average" Giver is very motivated. Whenever a need arises, they can not wait to help out. Gung-ho and full of steam they "take on the task" of setting everything in order...make everything "right". Giver's have their place and are needed, but I see two characteristics in a giver that concern me.

One, the "I'm the only horse pulling the load" complaint. Ever heard that one? It is easy for a Giver to accept all the credit, or think they "saved the day", causing grandiose feelings of oneself. Two, they want to give so much, they get upset if you want to help....they have trouble "receiving" anything from anyone at anytime. This begets a lonely situation most of the time. Since no-one can do it "as good" or "better" than the Giver, they often work alone. Yes, their help is needed, but the load could have been lighter if shared.

RECEIVER- Most "Receivers" are very "laid-back", ready to accept and adapt to changes in their 'climate". Molding their lives with HIS is very easy for them. They listen well to the "spiritual voice" and have faith for needs. The scripture says in Mark 11:24, "Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them." Faith and Hope brings answers....reception!

In watching "Receivers", I have yet to notice a "fault" or lack thereof. For if we "receive" all that God has for us, the ability to give will be there, as well as the knowledge of humbleness and humility. When you first receive HIM and then give to others, your giving is then directed and spiritually aware....all for a perfect work. I see no lacking there....like Mary and her "good part" that would never be taken away...always leading into deeper insights.

Isn't that our desire? After meditating on these two choices, I have always wanted the "Good Part", but have not always obtained it's full benefits. Today, I re-affirm my desire to "seek HIS will and way"....all else will just "be there"....falling into place. I see and confess that most of the time I am a good "Giver", but have failed miserably in the "Receiving" end of God's blessings for me. May I remember that "he is a rewarder of those who diligently seek him".....and "receive" that. Period.

"Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you." (Matthew 6:33)

What is your feelings on the Giver and Receiver? Let me know what you think about the two, very popular characteristics. Which do you feel you are?

3 comments:

  1. hey other followers of this blog...leave a comment now and then so i'm not the only one! :)

    this was beautifully written, brenda. i've never heard it quite like this about mary & martha...really resonates with me.

    i think i have tendencies toward being both a giver and receiver. i do feel i am in a better frame of mind when i am more of a receiver...my giving then doesn't feel so much a burden as a gift...it's interesting that you could actually be MORE selfish when you're giving, but it can definitely be that way at times.

    will be thinking on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh I could tell in class yesterday that this would be an awesome blog! Seriously Bren - you think of everything! We're alike in a lot of ways - and it's no different with the giving/receiving thing. I can give and give and give til I have nothing left and feel happy... but as soon as someone lends me a helping hand, I feel like a burden. So much to learn... so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GM & KK,

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Giver/Receiver process. I too really have to evaluate and work on the receiving end. Hopefully we all will receive more and then have that much more to give.... LUV U 2

    ReplyDelete