Monday, April 6, 2009

All about Me!

When you begin a friendship, it seems like the first few conversions are all about "getting to know each other". Whether it is getting to know a new possible "best friend" or the start of a life long "best friends turned love of my life" story, we all want to know as much as we can about the other. We will ask all the "common" questions: Where did you grow up? How many siblings do you have? Where did you go to school/college? Who was/is your best friend? What are your parents like? Do you consider yourself a good friend? and the list goes on....

I love the old song from the musical "The King and I" titled, "Getting to Know You":

Getting to know you, Getting to know all about you.
Getting to like you, Getting to hope you like me.
Getting to know you, Putting it my way, But nicely,
You are precisely, My cup of tea.

Getting to know you, Getting to feel free and easy
When I am with you, Getting to know what to say
Haven't you noticed, Suddenly I'm bright and breezy?
Because of all the beautiful and new, Things I'm learning about you
Day by day.

I have not always been comfortable talking about myself. There is a "backward" part of me that doesn't like to be noticed...but I love to help! Does that make sense? I hope so, because that is who I am. I will plan a whole event (from ads to scheduling, to logistics, to menu/itinerary, etc...) but when it is all done, I just want you to enjoy, not thank me or herald me any accolades. I think this part of my personality was formed from my childhood....was always taught that to give God the glory, no man must glory is his own deeds....and it has stuck! Actually, that is one of my best attributes....keeps me humble and not "puffed up"....like being this way for sure (fo sho LS!). Couldn't be a constant "spotlight" person. Now a "key grip" would be just my cup of tea!

Here are some questions/answers about me that I have drawn up on my own. At the end of this story, you can ask me anything you want, ok?

  • Am I comfortable in my skin?
To a degree. I don't like pictures of myself. Just think my beauty comes from within and has never been "especially, outwardly" noteworthy. Think my greatest attribute is my kind heart. I work on having a beautiful soul.

Really like this writing:
Beauty of a Woman ~ The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman must be seen from her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. The beauty of a woman is not in a facial mole, but true beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she shows. The beauty of a woman, with time, only grows.

  • Do I know how to laugh?
Yes, I have a "Funny Bone"! Especially when I am tired, I start to giggle
uncontrollably! All my family and close friends know this and can tell when I am
exhausted by my humor...it always "kicks up a notch" during these times. Funny how when the brain quits working, the mind starts firing better in the "whit" department? Haven't quite figured that out yet!

  • How do I handle adversity or "sticky" situations?
I "Suffer in Silence" most of the time. I am so loyal that I get afraid to say my opinion because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. My brother recently told me that I really need to "speak the truth in love". This has helped me have the courage to talk about hurtful or difficult times without the "anger factor". I wait until my mind is clear of bitterness and hurt, then address the problem. This advise has been VERY helpful to me. When I was afraid of hurting my daughters' feelings and needed to correct them, my Mother-In-Law also gave me great advise. She said, "Be honest with your kids, they would rather hear it from you than a stranger." Words spoken in love are the best answer by far!
  • How do I show my emotions?
I am a crier. Not the "I want my way, so I'm gonna throw a fit and have a pity-party type of crier". Just an "I'm in the presence of God and I'm gonna "talk to my father" about this!" crier. Invariably, I begin to pour out my heart and frustrations to HIM. He knows me, he "gets" me, consoles me, understand me. No greater friend EVER! Tears are my language and God interprets. I love sharing with him, because he never "tells on me"! Whether I am happy, sad, excited or just overwhelmed, my tears begin to flow. My flood of release! How cleansing....

I asked a great "lady of God" who has now went on to be with HIM, how she was holding up after her teenage son lost his life coming home from a General Conference meeting. He was driving with his father when the fatal accident occurred. She said, "I am staying strong for my family, but no-one sees my nights." That admission to me was so "STRONG". This precious lady not only was staying positive for her family, but getting her strength and "releasing" her hurt to the Lord ALONE! Reinforces the fact that I believe women are built to endure". God gives us the extra strength needed to accomplish this task...


  • Am I giving?
Yes, I love to give.... anything, anytime, anywhere, you just call and I'll be there! (Boy, that sure sounds like a song!). The only problem I have with this "nature trait" is not being able to say "NO". I think MANY people are like this...especially the Christians. We feel that to do the work of the Lord, we must carry our burdens AND everyone else's! All at the same time! How noble of us! :) Can I hear an "AMEN" from the "overburdened" crowd? But what good are we to our bodies and our families if we have been "used up" by everyone else? Don't get me started there, I may have to start "meddling" as my Pastor growing up used to say when he was onto a "sensitive" subject!

Also, I know that in my "loving to give", I sometimes am NOT a good receiver. Went many years without figuring out this side of my personality until I heard a message preached on "RECEIVING". The minister stated that, "Unless we can receive, we cannot receive all Christ has for us. Our unworthiness will cause us to miss out on his gifts and blessings!" That really hit a "chord" with me. A Pastor's wife once saw me struggling to say something when someone gave me a compliment. She quietly took me aside and said, "Just say "Thank You"". I have tried to take that advise, even when it is hard to do.

  • Am I a Leader or Follower?
I really believe that I am both a Leader and a Follower. It has been easy in my life to lead projects in school, church and on the job. Even from a young age (I think the 6th grade), I was the producer of a skit in my classroom. I always held different positions throughout my life: Youth group officer, College Officer (JCM Music Club Secretary circa 1980-1981), Bookkeeping/IT Supervisor at the local bank for ten years and now the Assistant Director at my local senior center (to name a few, don't want to bore you, just make a point).

But I do love to follow too. My personality is a great "supportive" role. I like using this with my family, friends and co-workers. This side of my personality allows me to "calm down" my "take charge" attributes and focus, connect and listen to others....adding a "well-rounded" aspect to me. We need each other....as supporters as well as "front row" managers!

  • Am I pessimistic or optimistic?
Anyone who know me, can tell you that I love to "Keep on the sunny side, always on the sunny side". The power of positive thinking has been my guide. Has kept me "sane" thru some really trying times. Learning to forgive/love allows the optimist a chance to grow. Unforgiveness, bitterness and negativism is adverse to this concept. I don't want stunted growth, so I choose the "brighter side" of life!

  • Is honesty still important to you?
Oh Yes, Yes, Yes. I was talking about "honesty" with a friend that other day...we decided that honesty (true trust), when it is lost in ANY relationship, dooms the relationship! Love for the other party may still be there, but without true honesty, the cords will begin to slip and tear...before long, the whole seam of the union will be lost. Is being honest easy? I think it is one of the hardest things in life to convey. If you have to tell someone something, and you know it will hurt or affect their life tremendously, don't you loose sleep in the process? I do....knowing what "can" happen troubles my spirit, but knowing that saying nothing is just as much a lie as telling somone an untruth. So, the door must be open to allow honesty to be conveyed. Sometimes that's a big, heavy door...

  • Are you Stubborn?
Again I must answer (honestly!), YES! I can be VERY stubborn, but I think this trait can be both positive AND negative! I am thankful that I am stubborn enough (to speak the truth in love) and not let someone "run over me" with a negative word/deed. But, I also know that I can "stick to my opinion" sometimes longer than necessary just to make a point....eventually I come to my senses and "give it up" because "having my way is not always the winning way!".

  • Are you a loner?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I LOVE being with fun crowds, or with just a small group/person sharing food, ideas, experiences, opinions, ... But, I also love the "Alone" times that I can "re-group" and allow my spirit to become "revitalized". These "quiet times" remind me that HE is always there....even after the crowd is gone. My ever present verification that I can be "Alone but not Lonely".

  • Am I a "Collector"?
Once again I must answer positively! If there was a group for "Pack-Rats Anonymous (PRA)", I would be their unsung hero! They would immortalize me for my "holding on to everything" methods! Come on....admit it! There are many of us out there that keep EVERYTHING! I have BAGS (Ask my girls, I ain't lying!) of papers and accumulated "stuff" from years gone by in boxes and bags at my place. Once in a GREAT while, I'll clean out one and let those "by gones be by gones". But, just don't have the heart to let them all go. What kind of hold do they have on me? Not sure, there is a "security issue" there that I must ask the PRA about!

  • Am I a Procrastinator?
I am almost embarrassed to answer this question, but HERE GOES! It is literally astounding how many projects I can accomplish at one time. (My oldest daughter has this same ailment/disease!:)) However, this is not good when I have pushed off dead-lines and an innumerable amount of stuff needs done NOW! I tell myself that I am going to give myself a heart attack, but still I seem to get distracted and find other "pleasurable" things to do until a deadline is UPON ME! Produce? I can produce, for sure, but would have saved myself ten years by planning ahead a little better! Now don't get me wrong, I can go for periods of time (however short they may be...) where I do not get a 'Pile-up", but watch out when I do. I must outrun myself to accomplish my goals....good thing I haven't forgotten how to run, yet! I used to say, "I thrive under pressure"....Well, now everything except my blood pressure does!

  • What is my capacity to love?
I would call my "love capacity" as large and fierce. Those who I love, (and I believe this group to be large and growing), will get a fight out of me for "their honor and protection" anytime! Hope they appreciate my endeavors! Sure don't want to be the only one swinging! (I'll get your back and hopefully you'll get mine!:)

  • Are you "bored" easily?
At times I do get bored easily. If I am involved in an event of my interest, I can be content. If I am not interested, I look around for the next "challenge". I'll admit that I have the "Challenge Me" personality. In my home life, work, church or projects, I must always be finding new and better ways to achieve better results. In this regard, to make things easier and better, I love "Change".

  • Am I a dreamer?
To "dream" is to allow your mind to "capture perfect moments". I think this is OK. I think our lives and minds need to know that even if today was "bad", tomorrow will be better! Scarlet on "Gone with the Wind" would say, "I'll not think about it today, I'll think about it tomorrow". She dreamed tomorrow would be a better time, easier day, improved option over "Today".... she was a dreamer! Also, remember the little "Orphan Annie"? She sang the song:

The sun'll come out tomorrow, bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow, there'll be sun.
Just thinkin' about tomorrow, clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow, 'til there's none!
When I'm stuck a day that's gray, and lonely, I just stick out my chin, and grin and say, Oh!
The sun'll come out tomorrow, so you gotta hang on 'til tomorrow come what may.
Tomorrow, Tomorrow, I love ya, Tomorrow, You're always a day, a way!

  • Do I have hope in the future?
Absolutely, positively I have hope. My hope lies beyond this life. I know in whom I have believed. My hopes and dreams will be made complete when this life is over and we go to "rest in HIM". Most of all "I believe".....Jesus said he that cometh to him, must first "believe that he IS!".....Hey, I'm a believer! (Makes me feel like breaking into the old Dallas Holmes hit!). HE also gives rewards...and I am just confident enough to know that I want all he has reserved for ME!

Now your turn.... I told you all about "ME".... would love to hear about you. Do you struggle with anything? Need to share a thought or problem? Remember, no need to fear, there's "no new thing under the sun" and we have all endured thru more "crisis" than we would have ever imagined. Let us help....that's what we are here for!

Until tomorrow....because we all are dreamers, right?

2 comments:

  1. Can I be you when I grow up?

    Truly. You are a delight, Brenda. Beautiful inside AND out. (I look at your little picture and it just makes me smile, you're so cute)

    Thanks for sharing yourself with us. You give us all something to aspire to be. :) I'm not kidding.

    I have a couple of questions...

    Are you ever shallow?
    What are your favorite things to do in your downtime?
    Favorite books or movies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. GM,

    Glad my picture "amuses" you....Anyway I can make the day brighter, that's me! :)))

    Girl you are the true inspiration, like I said before, I would not have hit this "sharing" side of me without your gentle nudge! You do not want to be me! I came through a lot of "stuff and nonsense" to get where I am and I don't want you to have to go down that road! Be YOU, the beautiful caring, sharing person that you are and keep inspiring others....Pay it Forward!

    That brings me to my favorite movies: Pay it forward, I am Sam, The Shawshank Redemption, The Count of Monte Christo...I like all books by Lori Wick and Nicholas Sparks. Have to admit that I don't read as much as I used to (or like to). Family and Facebook seems to have taken up most of my time! :)

    Shallow....think my personality is too intense and honest for shallow thinking. Was "taught" that all every thought and action "counts"....think that stuck....maybe too good!

    In my downtime....I take a few minutes of self-pity then say "long enough". Off I go getting into "something". For me, if I am lonely, wanting someone to "call", I wait, then call someone myself! All I have to do to get "rejuvenated" is to get out one of my endless "lists" and start on a new project...which I always have many started and none completed (most of the time)....keeps me occupied at least, keeping me from worry. When I am super stressed, I cry or "shout" out my frustrations (usually) in my car! Thank God there are no hidden cameras there...if so, I would be soooo busted!!

    Next time, I want to ask you the questions, ok? You have such a "fun factor" built in....you are making mine increase also...Can't wait to see what your blogs will include when you are my age....experience is a teacher...hope it is kind to you! S&G:)

    ReplyDelete