Monday, April 20, 2009

Just a whisper


Many times I have wished for a "voice from the Lord" to speak to me. I wanted this "audible" voice to give me direct commands.....explicit instructions for my daily living.....directions for the "route" to travel (Turn right, Don't go down that detour, STOP...). I have actually asked God to come down and sit with me for just a little while so I could question him "face to face"...needing the answers to my deepest, most heartfelt questions. HE lets me know that he DOES speak, and it is through his spirit and the written Word (the Holy Word of God), that provides all the answers to life's questions.

Throughout life, when I really sought HIM for answers, they always came....but not in the "format" I would have desired. Sometimes the answers were direct words from the man of God preaching in the pulpit, or a precious saint of God that walked up and gave me encouragement or quoted a scripture that spoke to my spirit. I have found answers and direction in a song, a poem, scripture, an action, nature and even in reflection.

All the answers are here, we just need to "hear" them.

Elijah once wanted to hear from the Lord:

1 Kings 19:11-13 (King James Version)

11And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake:

12And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.

13And it was so, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave. And, behold, there came a voice unto him, and said, What doest thou here, Elijah?

When you are "listening" for the voice of the Lord, you must be aware that the answer my come in a different form than expected. These lyrics from the song, "It wasn't in the thunder" (Phillips, Craig and Dean, 1992) speak of this passage...

It wasn't in the thunder where I heard you call my name
There were no lightning flashes, that caused my heart to change
But a voice so sweet and tender, like the soothing summer rain
It wasn't in the thunder where I heard you call my name


Sometimes the answer comes in "A Whisper"....the soft, comforting voice of the Lord washing over me....in waves of comfort. I love to sing this song recorded by one of my favorite artists, Joyce Martin (of The Martins) titled, "A whisper is enough". (Words and music by Dave Clark, Larnelle Harris and Joel Lindsey)

Lord, You are my shepherd
And the keeper of my heart
You guide my steps when I can't find my way

And yet I know deep inside
For you to truly lead
I must live in such a way

That when You call to me


A whisper is enough
When I'm close enough to hear

Where my one desire
Is just to have You near
You still the storms around me with
Gentle words of love
I want to live

So that a whisper is enough


Is it any wonder

That it's hard to know Your voice

When so consumed by the cares of the world

But in an age that competes

With everything you say

Please give me ears to hear

Above the noise it makes.

Lord, give me ears to hear your voice. The scripture talks about US being HIS sheep.....HE is our shepherd....

John 10:4-28 (King James Version)

4And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.

5And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.

10The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

11I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

12But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.

13The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.

14I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.

15As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

16And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

27My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

28And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

What great and precious promises we have from the Lord! He speaks to us, leads us, protects us, cares and loves us. No need to fear, just listen and follow...listen and follow. Always danger in running ahead of the shepherd. May I always be following his lead and keeping my ears open "above the noise of this life" so I can hear his instructions being "whispered" to my spirit.

1 comment:

  1. i'm needing to hear this~ he's been having to knock me upside the head with things lately..when if i'd just been still, i would have heard the whisper.

    ReplyDelete