Friday, April 3, 2009

#1 Resolution.....always and forever!


At the start of every New Year, I make my list of "Resolutions". For the past three or four years, I have had my Sunday School class write their resolutions down and put them in a self-addressed envelope. I then store the envelopes and mail them to my students at the end of the year...they are kept in a safe place, unopened. During this process, I have completed my own resolution letter along with my class. It is funny, because, for the last two years, I have changed the date on the letter and addressed a new envelope. My list for "possible/hopeful" changes has stayed the same. Won't divulge the full listing but loosing weight is always high on the list.

This year, I knew the time had come to quit talkin' and start walkin'! My physical body (and short stature) could not handle any more weight coming on...needed to take some OFF! Here was some of my "signs":
You know you need to loose weight when:

~ Your husband weights LESS than you and he is a foot taller!

~ You look in the mirror and see your Grandmother....NO!!!

~ The only thing the doctor can do is give you more pills to add to the large number of pills you are already taking.

~ You want to look young, but feel ancient.

~ You want to book a flight and you are not sure if you need to book one or two seats! Was not to that point, but scared that I was heading there quickly!

So, the month of January passed and I still did not feel the "urge" to start a diet regimen. In the early part of February, I came down with the stomach flu.....couldn't eat for a couple of days. After the sickness passed, I had come to a decision: Now is the time, today is the day! Since I had literally been "on a food fast" for the previous days, it would be easier to begin.

I had to "psych" myself up. Took a good look in the mirror and wanted (needed) to improve. Also evaluated my current health.....like my brother says, looking at our "gene pool" it is pretty scary! Between my Mother and Father, I am a candidate for: diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, fibromyalsia, arthritis, chronic sinus problems, migraine headaches, heart trouble, colon cancer, kidney failure, liver cancer and thyroid trouble. For my age, the high blood pressure and diabetes were already calling my name, and making me pop meds! It was out of control. Needed to get a grip quickly...


Having an "exercise buddy" really helps! My beautiful sister-in-law was already on the "fast track" diet and we began our exercise regimen with vigor! Since the beginning of February, I am down almost thirty pounds! Yes, reason to celebrate, but NOT SO FAST! Thirty is good, but for me, I still have fifty (YES 50!) more to go. After one week....ONE WEEK.... of diet (sugar free, fat free and calorie counting!) and exercise (only one mile a day on treadmill), I no longer had to take my daily diabetes/sugar pill. That in itself was reason enough for me to "carry on".

It must have been the "touch of the Lord" that helped me, but I have "been delivered" from sweets! No small fete for a diabetic.....Candy bars no longer tempt me....I knew God was good, but he just proved his GREATNESS all over again!!!!



Now I "look forward" to loosing more weight. The past few weeks have been hard because I am at a "stand-still". With continued perseverance, I know that I can make it all the way to my goal! It's now become a "life long quest" for me. I feel better, look better (and younger as a matter of fact!). My husband actually gave me a sweet compliment (as he usually does!)..He said, "When I look at you, I still get chills!". That is "high praise indeed" since we have been married almost 27 years! What a confidence booster!

So, as I continue this quest/goal/journey, won't you come along? If you have needed that "extra push" to get on the diet trail, consider this your push....let me know if I can help! We can "join forces" to support each other. The other day, while reading another blog, I noticed that the writer had a extra header stating, "Pounds lost, Sticks of butter"....she proceeded to tell how many pounds she had lost and how many "sticks of butter" that represented. I am proud to say that I am now 120 sticks of butter lighter than I was 2 months ago. WOW! That sounds impressive, doesn't it? :)

Enough for today, will keep you posted on my journey. At this rate, by the time I head out to see my brother in August, I hope to have reached my goal weight..... 30 pounds down and counting!:)

Remember to let me know your "dieting" experiences through the comments section...I'm waiting to hear from YOU!

For more funny dieting cartoons, go to
http://www.glasbergen.com/images/


Smiles and Giggles to YOU!

4 comments:

  1. I love the Blog! It's very motivating! I'm so proud of you becoming a more health concious lady! Your beautiful in any form but most beautiful when you are happy with yourself! Love Ya Sis and Keep these blogs coming! *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mandy! I am proud of myself too! You are right, if you can't love YOU, you can't love anybody! Will do my best to keep 'em comin'...You and Mom have fun and early Happy Birthday to you!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My BS Girl,
    I am bursting with pride today. First of all, you KNOW how proud I am of you for staying after this weight loss thing you have going. I know all the days you've hit the gym when you've already done a million other things. It's been so inspiring.
    But, look at all the others you will be helping by telling your story. This post is GREAT. I'm going to go put your link up on my blog..if you don't mind, that is.
    Love you! LS

    ReplyDelete
  4. My LS,

    Thank you so much! Your kind words really mean a lot...you have started me on this "sharing" trail and I am loving it! Yes, I want to inspire with words and deeds...and I like to be inspired so I read GirlyMuse! You can absolutely add me to your link list...I would be honored! S&G, BS:)

    ReplyDelete