Friday, April 24, 2009

Clean my own plate


The "Clean Your Plate" rule has been around my family forever. Since we were raised with limited resources, "wasting food" in ANY form was not permitted. We never went hungry (not with Grandma Minnie around), but we also knew that wastefulness was a form of unthankfulness, and that was NOT ALLOWED! Why it was downright un-biblical! "Be Ye Thankful, so EAT" was the 11th Commandment.

I think every kid alive has heard the phrase, "There are kids in Africa, hungry, wishing they could have that delicious food." In my early innocence, that just broke my heart. To top it off, one day as I was looking through a National Geographic, I saw the faces of starvation for the first time. Now the hungry kids had a face....it was real to me! I cleaned my plate with more "vigor" than before (except for the veggies, you'll have to read my previous "Easter Memory: Quack" blog!). :)

The concept of "plate-cleaning" can also apply to our heart. It's my "container", holding anything and everything I allow in/on it! If I don't like "peas", I don't allow them on my plate. Same with my heart.....I try hard not to bring bad feelings and negative subjects to my table. (Gives me indigestion!:))

Psalm 51:9-11 (King James Version)

9Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.

10Create in me a clean heart, O God (Keep my plate clean God!); and renew a right spirit within me.

11Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

What I struggle the most with is what OTHERS try to put on my plate. Many people, I'll call them my "circle" (friends, family, co-workers, neighbors...) can try to "put me in the middle" of sensitive issues. The old rule "Don't argue politics or religion" truly has some merit! Many times it is best to "not go there"....or you may end up on the wrong side....for LIFE! Sometimes no answer is the best answer!

But what are our options when we truly want to show the love of Christ and some of our "circle" are mad, arguing, or not even speaking? Those times can be "trying" at best! One of my good friends (GM/LS) says she chooses to "Pick her battles", and I agree!

Many times I have had to pray, wait and then make a conscience decision to "act" on a problem. Sometimes they won't just GO AWAY! Wouldn't that be nice? ~ No, sometimes an action is required on our part. That is the hardest part for me...confrontation is something that I run from....far, far away...and fast! I then remember the "Speak the truth in Love" and "Keep your own plate clean" quotes from my brother. (Dad and Grandpa aren't the only ones with the good quotes/advice, brother dear!).

Recently, I have been struggling with the intense desire to "tell someone like it is". They should KNOW how to treat others! They have had all the right teaching growing up...they have Jesus in their heart to help them, right? Surely they have not forgotten how to "respect" others? Why can't they love the lovable? That should be the easy part, right? It seems simple to me. Truthfully, I just don't "get it". When did God start allowing us to get mad at someone over "nothing" and never speak to them again....hold grudges? Are we making up reasons now? I can't find where HE goes for that, EVER! Where in your Bible do you find that we are allowed "not to forgive"? I cannot find this teaching in mine.... If I ask forgiveness and forgiveness is not returned, my plate is clean....they have the leftovers on theirs! Such a sad state....lonely too.

Many times I have felt like calling them up and defending the innocent party and asking them what their problem was. Each time, when I prayed about "speaking out", the Lord would let me know that if they did not listen to HIM, they would not "happily" listen to me! So, I waited. I had the chance to meet them "face-to-face" one day. I was amazed. I was treated like a stranger. I was my normal, nice self....they were not impressed. This was someone who I had (and others) given love and support to WILLING through the years! MUCH love and support. I walked away feeling spent. Did I do all the right things? Should I have "forced" them to accept me, like me? Was it MY fault that they had a problem with my friend, and then in-turn me, for standing by her? I had done no wrong....always showing kindness and love. As I walked away, questioning if I was showing the right amount of love, tolerance, and forgiveness....I was reminded. You have tried your best to show yourself friendly.....you have "kept your own plate clean"....it is now up to them. From my plate to theirs...

I am not responsible for another's actions. I am responsible for my own. I choose love, forgiveness, joy, peace and happiness in Jesus Christ. Anyone who cannot stand to be around my "Christian choices", I make no apologies....this is who I am. A wise man instructed me once, "Make friends with those more positive than you, then you will be brought higher in the process". So, I choose friends who are encouraging, uplifting, fun, sensitive and honest. They don't drag me down and I try to be the same type of friend in kind. Life is too short....if we have to "let go" of a few of our "circle" to get more happiness and peace, so be it. God will supply another to replace them that will be our encouragement and inspiration. Try it, it worked for me. We can't change people, but we can control our best friends... our "circle"... Choose wisely... positive/good for both sides! Keep your plate clean! Such a nice feeling.... a clean heart is always a winning prize! In life, I have learned there is a price to pay, but the rewards are "out of this world"!







1 comment:

  1. Girl, you tell it like it is!!!

    I love how positive you are. It encourages me...on a daily basis!

    I've had to realize lately that my circle is changing and this helps me remember that it's OK, for the best, meant to be...all that.

    I think you're the greatest. :)

    ReplyDelete