Thursday, April 23, 2009

God's Stars...US!



Recently during the 2009 season of the popular British TV show "Britains Got Talent", some extra special talent was brought to light. You Tube, Oprah and other popular media outlets were "abuzz" with the video clips of two people: Paul Potts and Susan Boyle. If you haven't checked them out, you need to start "Googling" (Googling is a word now, right?) right now! Paul singing opera and Susan singing "I dream a dream" with perfection. It "started" the judges and all that heard them.

As my hubby and I watched the You Tube clips of these contestants, we cried. Such raw, natural talent....unpretentious....just wanting to show their God given talents to the world! Very moving. In reflection, I thought of how many times God picked the "underdog" over the "popular choice".

My first thoughts went to David. The young, ruddy, shepherd boy...out taking care of his family's sheep. Only God knew his "hidden strength". Why, he slew a lion and a bear that came in to threaten his flock! So, when the prophet was told to go anoint a new king from the house of Jesse, the older, more experienced brothers were brought forth first. They were paraded before the prophet Samuel, one by one....each time with the Lord saying, "No"...until there were no more brothers in the house! But out in the field the cry was given, "David, come home." It was David's time to shine...by God's design, not man's.

Another wonderful Bible story of mine is the one concerning the publican and sinner at prayer. The publican was "puffed up", spouting his virtues, acting "better than" the lowly sinner over "there". The sinner was so moved and "awed" by the grace of Almighty God, that he smote his chest and said, "Be merciful on me, Oh God, a sinner." Jesus said the sinner went away more justified.....chosen and accepted.

Gideon was "threshing" in the field when God called him a "Mighty Man of Valor". He looked around, wondering, "Who? Me?" After verifying the will of God by laying out the "fleeces", he let God use him for great victory for his people. What a story!

Many movies are made, heralding people who have "overcome" great obstacles....Rudy, Shawshank Redemption, the Count of Monte Christo...and the list goes on. These are my favorite types of stories....where the average guy/girl wins!

To God, it doesn't matter if you are popular, the "right" age, better equipped, have more experience, or are more beautiful than others....HE does not go by outward appearance (looks, charm, personality)...(can I interject a loud "Hallelujah, Thank You Jesus" right here?)....He makes us worthy and sees our worth in our character....the true essence of us! He "sees" me with eyes of love like no-one else can do or ever will. He believes in ME.....

So, with a thankful heart, I am overwhelmed today that a King would even acknowledge my existence. He picks me out, let's me shine for him, and continually assures me that I am the apple of his eye. No, I'll never figure out how or why he loves me like this, but it is past my finding out and I will just "receive" his love and acceptance. Just as I am I come to him....he waits for me with open arms and a smile. I'm his favorite kid! And what is so cool, his love is not diminished by loving all of us just as intently and equally.

Yep, I'm glad he's my heavenly father....the best for sure! :) We are his STARS!

1 comment: