Thursday, April 9, 2009

Pet Peeves for Laundry


Sorry, today I will "spill". I do not like to talk about the "neurotic"' side of my personality, but here goes. It is my turn to confess...I have a few Pet Peeves. Seems like a few of my "top of the list" ones pertain to ~ LAUNDRY! Yes, I know, of all the categories of life, I pick laundry, can you figure?

My peeves pertain to Mix, Hang and Fold. I know, now is the time to explain myself!

THE MIX:
I absolutely detest (abhor) when someone mixes all their fabric/colors in the washer! How "dare" I find a white sock in with the jeans! Clothes MUST be separated by color (whites, colors, darks...) and fabric (jersey, cottons, sweaters...). Good items must be washed separatly or by hand. Hung dry or "laid flat to dry" is a COMMANDMENT. Jeans and towels can be washed together ... on occasion. This is the "Momma Rules"!

My oldest daughter is just now "getting" my drift. She just got married last Summer, so her turn to set the rules have just started in her household! Don't think she is as "emphatic" as me, but at least she has started down the path. When she was in college and worked as a loader at UPS, I did not even recognize her clothes! She would wash EVERYTHING she wore that night to work "TOGETHER"! I can not tell you how wrong that was! White clothes were not her friends! Dingy brown or gray...that was her best hope at white!

I remember trying to "bleach out" the ding to return some of her clothes to their natural "Whiteness". I could soak ALL DAY and never get accepted results....she would say, "Thanks Mom, that looks great". I would cringe and know that I had failed somewhere...

THE "HANG"
Even from a young age, my children knew that you hung all your clothes with the hanger "hook" facing left. I know, of all the things I could teach my kids, this was an important issue? YEP! This is how it got started.

Right out of college, when I moved to Parkersburg, I got a great job at Fashion Bug. Hanging clothes was 90% of my job. My manager showed me the importance of having the clothes all "hung" the same way...for easier "browsing". Tell me you don't go in a store and get frustrated when you are "sifting thru" the clothes and they are not all "hung" in an orderly fashion! It bothers me so bad, I have to leave....just can't go there! (Maybe I have a slight OCD personality? Not been diagnosed, but a possibility!) And they must be hung "by color" also....light colors to dark colors. When I look at a rack of clothes, I like to see a "rainbow of fashion". This is my small contribution to the arts! Sleeves too....you must go from short to long. I know...almost too crazy, right?

Finally, the "FOLD"
When clothes are taken from the dryer, they must be folded promptly and correctly! My husband is the "buzzer" king. He jumps up at the sound of the dryer buzzer (or makes sure someone does!). Can't leave the clothes in the dryer....must get them out NOW! Everything must stop to make sure this task gets carried out!

I go "straight up" when I see a basket of laundry that has not been folded setting around. They must go back in the dryer to get the "wrinkles" out and folded "correctly". What is the correct way to fold? Have you ever noticed EVERYONE has a different way to fold their towels? I have to check in the bathroom to see how they fold before I can help them fold theirs. Must be the same (another OCD moment I think!). T-shirts have to be folded like you got them in a store. My youngest daughter folds like me. Her husband asked her if she ever worked in a clothing store. She said, "No", but my Mom did...

Yes, I must admit, these "methods" are important to me. I think in some small way they keep me sane. There are some things in life that never took "precedence". I didn't care if dishes were left in the sink or a bed went unmade to spent time with my kids. Off we would go to do WHATEVER...just to be together. But when it came to laundry, my rules came out...

What is your Pet Peeves? Everyone has some....even if you are "easy going", there are things that just "set you off". Spill....it's your turn...let me know what you just "have to make happen". Love hearing from you. Remember to sign up as a "Follower" and send me a comment....wishing you and your family the best of days! Correctly mixed, hung and folded days that is!:)

2 comments:

  1. You HAVE to meet Honey. I have a couple of the tendencies you mentioned, but not all (wish I had more!)...Honey, however...she has yours and then some. I call her the Laundry Queen. Sounds like you are too!

    I do like things to all be hung the same direction...however...I'm right handed and Nate is left, so he prefers them the other way. Grr. Good thing we have separate closets or... :)

    Another pet peeve: I have a thing about loading the dishwasher. In the silverware basket, I have to group everything together~ forks with forks, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO glad to have tendencies like your Ma (Honey, still love that you call her that!). Know we would just "bond" fo sho! Separate closets sounds like a marriage save for you! The dishwasher "must" sounds sane to me, but look who's talkin'!!! I don't know if I have that one, I still don't have a dishwasher.....just a little bit of the "old fashioned" woman coming out of me.....that's another story altogether!

    Have fun sorting the forks....I'll have fun handing clothes...we're a pair, you think?:)

    ReplyDelete