Friday, May 8, 2009

What else matters? I'm a Mom!


Once I had found the "love of my life", Glen Jr, my desire was great to have children. God was merciful and before we had been married three years, we had two beautiful daughters.



(Danielle, my oldest, is married and lives in Indianapolis, Indiana with her new husband, Jeff. Rachelle lives in Proctorville, Ohio with her husband Chris and my only grand-daughter Aliyah. Go to my shutterfly album to see my beautiful family! )

I remember a couple cute things that my girls said when they were VERY young. Let me share a few:
One day when I was feeding Jr. supper (chili), a young Danielle (she was probably around 3 or 4 at the time) came over, climbed up to the table, looked at us and said, "When I get a Glennie, I'm gonna feed him chili too!" Of course she made this statement because both her father and Grandpa's names were Glen. Her little eyes were squinted in their usual fashion...Too cute!

Another day, when Jr. and I were taking the girls on a day trip, Rachelle reached up, put my hand on her Dad's, patted them and said, "We're a fambily". The joy in her sweet face was priceless.


Since Jr's job did not allow him to take off Saturday's when the girls were young, his "Tuesday" off became a special time for our family. "Family Day" was designated once a month. We took the kids out of school, told them we were going "out of town" and headed to the nearest big city (Parkersburg, here we come!). Even today, my girls say this was some of the funnest times we ever shared as a family.






Now that I have experienced the full circle of life (from Daughter, to Wife, to Mother, to Grand-Mother), I feel very blessed.

To celebrate this day, I have pulled together some great poems/stories (Thanks for sharing BS!) to share in this wonderful day!


MOTHERS

Real Mothers don't eat quiche; they don't have time to make it..

Real Mothers know that their kitchen utensils are probably in the sandbox.

Real Mothers often have sticky floors, filthy ovens and happy kids.

Real Mothers know that dried play dough doesn't come out of carpets.

Real Mothers don't want to know what the vacuum just sucked up.

Real Mothers sometimes ask 'Why me?' and get their answer when a little
voice says, 'Because I love you best.'

Real Mothers know that a child's growth is not measured by height or years or grade . . . It is marked by the progression of Mommy to Mom to Mother . . .

The Images of Mother

4 YEARS OF AGE - My Mommy can do anything!

8 YEARS OF AGE - My Mom knows a lot! A whole lot!

12 YEARS OF AGE - My Mother doesn't really know quite everything.

14 YEARS OF AGE - Naturally, Mother doesn't know that, either.

16 YEARS OF AGE - Mother? She's hopelessly old-fashioned.

18 YEARS OF AGE - That old woman? She's way out of date!

25 YEARS OF AGE - Well, she might know a little bit about it!

35 YEARS OF AGE - Before we decide, let's get Mom's opinion.

45 YEARS OF AGE - Wonder what Mom would have thought about it?

65 YEARS OF AGE - Wish I could talk it over with Mom..

Yesterday I shared the passage from Proverbs 31 containing the "Virtuous Woman" scriptures. Today I would like to share a paraphrase of this passage (by Barbara Westberg).

Who can find a Christian Lady?


Who can find a Christian Lady? Her price is far more than that of pearls and diamonds, furs and Mercedes.


Her husband has complete confidence in her. He is not afraid to trust her with his name, his children and his paycheck.


She will be a blessing to him as long as she lives.


She provides the things needed for her family's comfort. She is not afraid to get her hands dirty and does her work with a smile.


She is a thrifty shopper.


She rises early for private devotions and prepares herself for the day.


She considers new obligations carefully in the light of her present duties and sets her priorities wisely. Because she is conservative with her time, her family reaps many benefits: homemade cookies, family outings, special times of listening.


She is on twenty-tour-hour call. "Mommy, I'm scared." "Honey, would you run an errand for me?" "Sister, could you, please...?" She receives many rewards for her good works: a bear hug, a thank-you card, a new friendship.


She calmly performs the small, monotonous chores that fall her lot, sewing on buttons, pressing white shirts, cleaning ovens.


She shares her blessings with those who are less fortunate: an extra place at the table, a fresh loaf of homemade bread, vegetables from her garden. She reaches out and touches other lives, offering a compassionate shoulder, a helping hand, a listening ear.


She has no fear of hard times, for she has built her family on a strong foundation. With God's help, they are prepared to cope with life's frustrations and emergencies.


She chooses her wardrobe with good taste. She keeps her physical appearance clean and neat. A meek and quiet spirit is her crowning glory.


Her husband is respected on his job. He is able to fill his position well, unhampered by domestic problems and pressures.


She is competent in business affairs, balancing the checkbook, paying the bills on time, protecting the credit cards. She is capable of supplementing the family's income, if necessary.


She has strength of character. She is reserved and manifests dignity in adverse circumstances.

She has a positive attitude, expecting good things to happen.


She gives wise counsel and instruction. Kindness rules her tongue. She is not given to gossip, grumbling and griping.


She organizes her household well and is not lazy.


Her children love and appreciate her. Her husband praises her saying, "There are many lovely Christian ladies, but you are the fairest of all."


Flattery and the favor of men is deceiving; beauty is vain and temporary, but a lady who serves the Lord and loves her family will long be honored and respected.


The fruit of her life and the works of her hands will testify for her.



~~~~
WOW! I may be many things in this life; a friend, boss, neighbor and co-worker....but none of these can compare....I'M A MOM!

1 comment:

  1. the girls are so cute!!! love these stories.

    and the paraphrase of proverbs 31 is excellent.

    i'm amazed by your writing. it's so thorough, sunny, heartfelt, and not a typo in sight! :)

    ReplyDelete