Sunday, May 3, 2009

Finding a way...the caffeine way!


In my youth, I have lots of experiences when it comes to "coffee- making" and I would like to share a few of them with you today.

First of all, I grew up in a household of coffee vs. tea drinkers. While my father was the coffee man, Mom was the tea gal. None of us kids were coffee drinkers then...even today...except for the occasional "Starbucks" trek, I don't think any of us even own a coffee-maker.

Smelling coffee brewing to me is a wonderful, sweet aroma! Surely something that smelled so good would taste delightful, right? Well....

I tried coffee for the first time as a teen. Someone said if you put in sugar and cream, the taste would be he enhanced. Well, I tried it black, with some sugar, with some cream, and with a little bit of both and could not get it down! Yep, the smell was better than the taste, by far!

Since Dad ended up working midnight turn in the coal mines for years (I mean like 24 years!), he needed a FULL thermos of coffee to take with him to work each night. Since I was NOT a coffee drinker, I did not even realize that I was making the coffee so strong. Dad never complained and I would not have found out my "grave error" had it not been for some of Dad's buddies. One day when they saw me on the street, they talked about my "strong coffee" and how they all asked Dad for a cup of his coffee when they were having a sleepy spell and needed a "caffeine high" to get thru the night! Must have helped Dad, he luckily never fell asleep on the way home each morning...he was too WOUND UP! :) I was happy to oblige in this small area:) Ignorance really does have it's perks you know!

Throughout the years, I have again tried coffee at different intervals. My mother-in-law always said that drinking coffee with something sweet was always the better method... but once I was diagnosed with Diabetes (it is now under control with diet and exercise! Yipee!), that was not an option.

Once in a while I enjoy a hot or cold cup of tea. I cannot take tea in large amounts or often due to the acids and sugars. Even using the inventive Splenda cannot keep the tea from bothering me in the acids department, so I am back to drinking water as my main beverage. Good for me all around!

It was a special privilege to be able to go on a cruise to Nova Scotia this past September. On the Carnival Cruise line, my room-mate was a bonafide coffee drinker. One night, the coffee smell lured me once again... should I give it another try? Well, I knew that I liked hot chocolate, so I decided to make a "concoction"....hot chocolate with a "SQUIRT" of coffee. That should do the trick. The first night this worked great! I was hooked! Just the right mix of coffee and chocolate was delightful! The next night I tried the same routine....but something went wrong! When I pushed the hot chocolate button, a whole cup came out instead of stopping when I released the button! So, in true "Lucy" fashion, I grabbed another cup....and accidentally pushed the button again! So, I grabbed ANOTHER cup....I think by the time the chocolate stopped pouring, I had four cups on my tray. Being the "thou shalt not waste food" believer from my strict upbringing, I added a "squirt" of coffee to each cup and proceeded to take the drinks back to my room. My room-mate was laughing hysterically! The waiter from our formal dining room passed me, pointed to my tray and made a questioning face. I told him...I'll explain later, as I walked purposely to my state room. You had to be there...it was a AFV moment for sure. Just need to get me a red wig, and maybe I can get the "Lucy" impersonation down...:)

So, where am I today with my coffee endeavors? Well, since I am trying to watch my sugars and fats, I have come up with an acceptable solution. You can purchase hot chocolate packets that are only 25 calories and sugar free! Combine that with a small scoop of instant coffee and whalah! The caffeine drink you desire with the taste you need, without the things you don't (sugars and fats!). Of course once in a while I fall off the wagon ~ just occasionally ~ I pass a cappuccino machine at a gas station......last week the flavor was "Vanilla Chocolate Carmel". I tried it and I liked it, very much indeed! Had to add a "squirt" of Half-n-half" from the creamer....oh my, it's a good thing this is just an occasional treat. I could get used to this..... No wonder Starbucks and Seattle's Best and Joe Mugs (and the list goes on...) has the right idea. Makes me thankful AGAIN for living in a small rural area where specialty coffee shops are non-existent.....I may become addicted!

2 comments:

  1. so you're just naturally this perky??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot to mention the dollop of marshmallow cream on top! =D THAT was amazing!

    I can't handle coffee either - until it's mixed the Brenda way! yummyyy!

    ReplyDelete