Monday, May 25, 2009

Strength for the task


Since I have never been a military soldier, I am overwhelmed by the courage and commitment that I see in the men/women of our armed forces. Trying to explain their brave hearts or unselfish acts would be unfair...to them. They are what they are ~ They do what they do ~ it is protection in it's rawest form..... right in the heat of the fight!

Today I will TRY to say thanks. With Memorial Day just past, I realize that the need to appreciate our soldiers is greater than ever before. Veteran's Day is nice to honor the living, and Memorial Day is there to honor those who gave the greatest sacrifice for us, to have a "free" America.

My father served in the Army when he was VERY young. Luckily (and from much prayers of my Grandparents) he returned safely from the Korean War, serving time in Korea and Japan. Although he talked of his experiences, I never told him thanks.

As a youth, many times we take the "strength and courage" of others for granite. Reflection, many times, will remind us of the simple tasks that others have completed that makes our life easier today. We should be thankful, we should express our thanks.... not wait.



Since I have never had to be commanded to go into the "heat of the battle", I marvel at the fortitude (guts, grit, stamina and determination) of the soldiers mind. When you read or see a soldier "readying their mind" for service, many times you will see them praying. They know that the ultimate strength and protection comes from above.




As we face ANYTHING in life, may we be wise enough to follow the soldier's example.... seek help, ask guidance and pray for protection/knowledge from HIM.

Ephesians 6:10-12 (King James Version)

10Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.

11Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

12For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.


Yes, we are in a spiritual battle. We must have help. We CANNOT complete the task on our own.

There is a beautiful old song that The Hemphill's sang that said:

There's not one hole in my armour

Jesus covers me well

I'll never fall, if I wear it all

Satan's darts cannot prevail


Yes, we are in a spiritual battle. May I be smart enough to ask for strength for the task...







No comments:

Post a Comment