Saturday, May 2, 2009

Deep Cleaning




I must confess that while I LOVE having a sparkling, fresh-smelling, clean house, I seem to find so many other adventures in life that I want to have/do more. In all my years, I just haven't figured out how to have total "freedom" and a clean house at the same time! It is truly a "full time job" to have every room clean at the same time. Can you accomplish this? If you can, you are one of my heroes. Really, the other day I FINALLY came up with a plan/schedule. By cleaning one room of my house each day, I could have the weekends free for "whatever". Sounds good to me...now for the motivation to kick in to make my plan successful. How do you do it? If you work full-time, are involved in a "zillion" projects, like to visit people/places/events (anything that will constitute a "road trip"), where does the time fit in to CLEAN?

Well, today is my "designated" clean day. It has rained all night, so my Yard-Sale is put off until another time. Last night I began the "pre-deep-cleaning" process. This happens when you start washing rugs, taking curtains down to prepare for the window cleaning (washing curtains), and "ridding-up", putting stuff away (or starting ANOTHER box for the local Goodwill/Salvation Army).

My sweet hubby is the official "vacuum cleaner runner" at my house. So sweet of him! About four years ago we purchased a new "Rainbow" sweeper....I think I have ran it about three times. Yep, Jr is the official sweeper-runner...and he LOVES IT!

Well, last night, I told Jr that we needed to "deep-sweep" the living room.....that constitutes pulling out furniture, wiping down baseboards, yada, yada, yada.... Well, together we were "up for the task". WOWzers! Behind every piece of furniture was so much dust! I know this always is the case, but each time I see where dust can HIDE, I am amazed! Especially where the furnace vents are.....I had cobwebs behind a couple pieces that could have set me up for a Halloween display for sure!

As my mind began to contemplate the "rules of dust hiding", it also began it's usual "trek to the spiritual" route... How many different types of dust/sins were "hiding out" in my heart? Yes, I try to "deep clean" my heart/soul quite often. Really try to rid out the bad every day....God knows my desire for a clean heart (right up there with a clean house!), but it seems I fail miserably on these tasks. Does my house take it out on me when it is not clean! NO, besides not "looking it's best", it just patiently waits for me to get to the task whenever I am ready. I'm so glad that Jesus has this type of patience too! Even when I can't ever see all the "hidden dirt/sins" in my life, Jesus knows where to look, and how to urge me into action...and he does it all with a loving hand! Thank you Jesus!

When I find the hidden dirt/sins in my life or in another, may I just take the tools necessary to clean and do the job correctly. I don't have to ANNOUNCE that dirt has been found...."Over here, look at all this dirt! Isn't that the most disgusting pile of mud you have EVER SEEN!". No, I can just take the love of the father and his "blotting out blood" and with a humble heart, request a washing that makes me "whiter than snow". Won't find ANY cleaner on the shelf that works and better, shines any shinier or smells any sweeter!

Psalms 51 says:

10Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

11Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

12Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

13Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.

This is my spiritual goal; to keep a clean heart, allow God's spirit to stay in me, embrace the joy and tell of his goodness. Four steps that are easy when I let HIM do the cleaning!


2 comments:

  1. great post! love the pic, too.

    at one time, flylady.net saved my life~ i really followed it. some of the concepts have stayed with me...but the whole house clean at once, now that's just unheard of.

    oh, and the God stuff was really good too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOTTA LOVE THOSE RAINBOW SWEEPERS ;]

    Pastor sweeps the house like it's his job... I think I tried to use the rainbow once on one of our cleaning spress and he ended up taking it from me, haha!

    ahh,Psalms 51... no one says it like Martha Munizzi. mmm, mmm, mmmm!

    Search me, O God, and know my heart. Try me, and know my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete