Wednesday, May 13, 2009

In the MIRROR

Luke 6:41 (King James Version)

41And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but perceivest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Luke 6:41 (New International Version)

41"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?

My (BMM) interpretation: Why are you looking at your brother's small faults when you have a ton of BIG faults yourself??

Sure, it is easy to make someone else's imperfections come to light, but when the table is turned? OUCH!! It's not fun to be in the spotlight then... when someone looks at YOU and finds YOUR faults!

Many times it is just a good idea to take a "long look in the mirror". My imperfections will be shown ... no other image will be looking back at me....JUST ME, and me alone! I'm reminded of the wicked queen in the "Snow White" story....


























~ Mirror, Mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all? ~

The mirror had to tell the truth. The mirror never lies.... it must show you as you REALLY ARE!

Another story in the Bible tells of two men who went to pray:

Luke 18:10-14 (King James Version)

10Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.

11The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

12I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

13And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

14I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

My (BMM) interpretation: You and another go up to pray. You begin to tell God all your virtues and brag about your accomplishments. "Lord, I have done so much good... my character is perfect and I am lacking in nothing. I'm so glad I don't have problems like my friend here.... He is so lacking....I feel sorry for him!" As my friend prays without saying much, he tells God, "Have mercy on me a sinner". God tuns from you, looks at your friend and says, "I accept you, I extend to you my forgiveness and peace." WOW! Who saw THAT coming?

With that example comes great responsibility. I am responsible for ME!

I have a confession to make....I do NOT like to look at my image (myself in the mirror! Or in a picture!). I know it is me.... I pinch myself, I hurt! Yep, it's me! Even though I may not like my reflection, I must like who I am.

Jesus said, "Love your neighbor as yourself." If I don't love myself, how can I love my neighbor? Simple Truth.

So, I must love ME! But how when I look in the mirror and see all MY imperfections? I don't feel good enough! I then look at others and see their faults too.....OH NO! I have become a "fault-finder". Beware, that is a vicious road to travel! Not happy with me, not happy with others....

When I was meditating on the "two people praying" passage, I asked myself, "Which one are YOU?" Of course, right off the bat, I thought I was the sinner, the one who received justification. Then I took a closer look...

Many times I DO feel that I am "worthy"..... I feel that I have moved BEYOND the "sinner" stage and have started "doing the right things". After reflection, I realize that I can easily be the "proud, Pharisee" and not even realize it....at least not until I really "Look in the mirror" and see what/who I really am.

Don't be afraid, God knows you as you are and loves you, you need to do the same....He sees the imperfections and knows how to bring the "good out". Just like we work loving with our children to help them "achieve", God is working with us...

Like the little children's song: (by Joel Hemphill)

He's still working on me, to make me what I ought to be

It took him just a week to make the moon and the stars

The sun and the earth and Jupiter and Mars

How loving and patient he must be

He's still working on me


The key is to "let HIM keep working". If you feel you have "arrived", the process is OVER!

Remember, there is a better you awaiting to be born today....Let him give you a makeover! You'll be glad you did...and so will others. A better, nicer YOU is always a good thing... and it reflects in the Mirror!









1 comment: