Monday, May 18, 2009

I love Watermelon


Yes, little "Sissy" is a third-generation watermelon lover! It may go back further than that, but we do know that it goes at least that far!

I remember eating so much watermelon at our Annual 4th of July Picnic (at Aunt Leona's ~ extra special since it was also Dad's birthday!), that I would be sick....literally! I did not know at the time that the headache and stomachache I had the next day was due to me having diabetes (too much sugar, for sure!). Only knew it was wonderful while it lasted! Uncle Sonny would put the melons and cans of pop in a wash tub with water and ice. By putting this tub in the shade, the pop and melons stayed ice cold all day! I still remember freezing my hands as we "fished" for cans in the tub...what wonderful memories!

Shelly, "Sissy's Mommy", loved watermelon too! On days we would have it, she would eat nothing else. One 4th of July up at Dad's, Shelly again "tore away at the Melon plate"! Since we (Jr & I) had to work the next day, we had to make the three hour trip home ~ LATE! I mean after the fireworks display (that usually didn't even start until after 10 PM). Well, needless to say, Shelly was asking Daddy to stop at every gas station on the way home....and some of them were not even open ~ OOOPS! It meant for a frustrating ride home. The next year, Dad forbid Shelly to overdo it with the watermelon.

Our little Sissy loves to feed herself, and at this age (20 months), things can get a little "MESSY". I try to keep her in her high-chair to catch some of the "smears", but she will not wear a bib anymore...always tears them off!




When she was here over the weekend, she also enjoyed Macaroni & Cheese






and fell asleep on Mommy eating Cheesy Curls! :)

I learn so much from her.... may I keep enjoying life! Even watermelon... in moderated doses, but keep enjoying doing the things I love. And I sure do love watermelon! Isn't it funny how traits are passed down?...

3 comments:

  1. Bren, I remember seeing how far we could spit thoses big black seeds over the hill. Now we have seedless. lol Nila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nila,

    I had forgotten about the "Spittin" contests! And how "Racky" the 3 legged coon loved to eat the rhines! One year, I grew a watermelon out back from throwing the seeds in the same place all the time! WOW, what good memories we have!

    ReplyDelete