Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Penny Tree




As I "meditate" on life... it's experiences, it's lessons... I get inspired to tell YOU about it! Wanting to share my heart. Sometimes when I begin a blog, it is with a message of sharing... then I have to do some 'digging' or studying! I always end up learning more by sharing my thoughts with YOU! So, thank you for helping me get smarter...:)

A while back, I picked up a couple (MORE!) books to read. Seems like I go through "reading spells". Lately, I have not had the time to give to recreation reading. Outside of work or an occasion 'newspaper/magazine' skim, I have been tackling too many different projects to finish a book. With my vacation coming up (Here I come Dallas, ready or not!), I picked up a couple interesting books at the store the other day to ready while waiting at the airport. I would have said "book store" but our little, rural town does not have one! I found the book I am reading at the local Dollar Store! They got in a nice selection and one caught my eye. It is titled, "The Penny Tree".

I have only finished thirty-seven (37) pages and I am HOOKED! I already want to share a section with you... it has inspired me so!

First, I will share a review I found (Yes! I DO have to research lots to give you the "scoop"!) online.

Friday, July 25, 2008
Review by: The Highland Lassie (http://highlandlassiereviews.blogspot.com)

Book Review- The Penny Tree
Author- Holly Kennedy

Blurb:
Annie Hillman has been dangling from the end of he
r rope for so long, she’s forgotten how to do more than hold on. Back in her small hometown, struggling with her older sons truancy and her younger sons medical bills, Annie finds her only refuge is the old Douglas fir that has been special to her since childhood when her father helped her nail a penny to the trunk. Then the oddest thing happens. The local newspaper carries a front-page ad with a picture of Annie and an earnest message of love and regret from an unknown admirer.

Once again Holly Kennedy has written a gem. Of her three
books this is my favorite. Ms. Kennedy writes a remarkable story of love, compassion, regret and most of all love. It speaks of things everyone can relate too. How the greatest gift we can give our children is love, and that a token of our never ending affection, something for them to call their own, to remember when life gets them down, is worth more than a lifetime of material gifts.

The book tells how life takes us on a journey down a treacherous and bumpy road but those who brace themselves and hold on for th
e ride are the one’s who prosper. Why? Because it doesn’t matter if we fall down along the way, as long as we get back up. The message is clear, giving up isn’t the answer. It may be a solution but NEVER the answer.

I loved this story! I laughed, I cried, and I couldn’t stop turning pages. AND the best thing of all it made me think. It made me reconsider certain things in my own life and that of my family. There is a twist in the book, and I must say, though I am usually good at figuring mysteries out
, I totally missed this one! This book could easily be made into a movie. AND one day when the time is right, I hope to give my own children a Penny Tree.

I give this book 5 ***** stars!!!!



In sharing this first 'portion' of story, I wanted to tell you about the "Penny Tree" definition in the story. This tree becomes a symbol, a "locality" for a father to teach his daughter of a life-long lesson-

(Quoting Page 27 where the father is telling the daughter the meaning of the Penny Tree, she was 12 years old, just found out she was adopted and feeling very hurt and rejected...)

"My father gave me a penny tree when I wasn't much older than you are, and when he did, he said he believed everyone needs a special place to lick their wounds and regroup, somewhere that feels safer than anywhere else in the world. So that's what we're doing here today. We're nailing that penny to this tree because I want you to have somewhere to go that ground you, an axis for your world to spin around, and a place that's all yours and no one else's - for times when life throws things at you that you aren't sure how to handle. and it will throw things at you, Annie: things that test you and push you to your limits; things not unlike what you're going through right now. Only from now on, instead of running away from them, you'll have somewhere to think them through. Your own special spot where you can hurt in private when you need to be alone, and where you can weigh all the pros and cons to make the decisions you need to make."

As I read these words, my spirit was lightened! I have such a place! It is not a 'Penny Tree' but it is at the feet of Jesus. As a child I was taught that HE, the great God of heaven, would listen to my pleas... no matter how small or big... and help me to understand the "roads/curves" of life... allowing me to make good decisions. A special place of refuge... when problems were bigger then me... when I needed to make good choices.

How I rejoice in this place of wisdom! This place of trust. I can tell God in secret. He is just, forgiving, merciful, kind, loving, comforting... SAFE.

I have often told my children that I could not give them lots of worldly goods in this life... BUT, I can introduce them to someone who is EVERYTHING they will ever need! If I can just point them in HIS direction, they will be safe, cared-for, protected, educated, instructed and in the end, saved from the troubles of this life.

The best place to go... to the "Penny Tree", the "Cleft in the Rock", the place of safety... where my heavenly father resides.

Do you have such a place? I sure hope so... my hearts breaks for those who have not felt his love wrap around their lives in times of trouble. No greater love and no greater place than this...

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like a sweet book!

    So glad I have the Lord and friends like you to talk to...

    Love ya. GA

    ReplyDelete