Monday, July 20, 2009

Just a sign


I wish I could count the times I have asked God for a sign, a confirmation, a "holy word"... an answer to a need/prayer. Growing up in church (I was in attendance from the time I was three days old!), I was taught to have faith in the Word of God.

"Ask and ye shall receive" was one of my first memory verses. I saw God answer so many prayers that my faith was increased just by watching the hand of God move. Healings, Deliverences, Financial needs met, Broken-hearts mended, Forgiveness given, and the list goes on.... all the wonderful works of a loving savior.

It is with joy that I can say that God has always been with me. Yes, even when I failed or was not acting in the "proper manner", HE was still with me. I remember crying to the old Gary S Paxton song, "He was there all the time". Just knowing that he would not walk away, disown me, or be totally devastated at my failures was liberating! Of course, it has taken me a few years to let this realization 'sink in'. I used to think each time I was not perfect, HE would walk away and never look back. I'm glad I know his nature now, the loving...forgiving nature... not that I want to abuse it. NO! I want to please HIM and let him know I appreciate his love!

In wanting to please God, I have sought his guidance, REPEATEDLY! I ask so MANY questions!!!

Should I do this?

What can I do about that?

How must I react in this situation?

A million questions, that's me!!! I worried about 'troubling God' about his "perfect answer" for my situations until I read about three examples in the Bible (there are so many more, but I just want to use these ones for now!) They were men called by God and used of God, but they were "imperfect" like me! Guess what? God loved them and used them anyways! IMAGINE THAT!!!

First up: Moses

After Moses saw the burning bush on the back-side of the desert, he proceeded to tell God why he could not do the job God had instructed.

Exodus chapter 4 says:
10 Moses said to the LORD, "O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue."

11 The LORD said to him, "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD ?

12 Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say."

13 But Moses said, "O Lord, please send someone else to do it."

NO HE DIDN'T!!! He asked God to send someone else? Yep! And you know the rest of the story... Moses ended up doing (and saying) all the right things.

Secondly, Peter:

Oh my, ever-zealous Peter! I think I must act like him at times... when my enthusiastic heart sometimes overlooks reality and 'jumps the gun to save the day'... all the while thinking I have been a winner! Clueless? Yes, sometimes!!!!

Remember when Peter cut off the soldier's ear because they came to get Jesus (of course Jesus re-attached the ear!)? All the while thinking he was defending Jesus!

Then he cursed and denied the Lord? Three times! Until the rooster crowed...

When Peter didn't want Jesus to wash his feet?

John 13:5-9 (King James Version)

5After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.

6Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet?

7Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.

8Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.

9Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.

Still, after all the 'mess-ups', God knew Peter's heart and gave him the "Keys to the Kingdom".

Thirdly, and my favorite, Gideon:

While tending his little "hidden" garden that he was hiding from the Midianites...

Judges 6:12 (King James Version)

12And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him, and said unto him, The LORD is with thee, thou mighty man of valour.

Gideon went on to get an army together (that God kept reducing in number so HE could get the glory for the Victory!). But the part I like the best, was when Gideon made God PROVE TO HIM..not just once, but TWICE (with the fleece test!), that HE was with him...

Judges 6:36-40 (King James Version)

36And Gideon said unto God, If thou wilt save Israel by mine hand, as thou hast said,

37Behold, I will put a fleece of wool in the floor; and if the dew be on the fleece only, and it be dry upon all the earth beside, then shall I know that thou wilt save Israel by mine hand, as thou hast said.

38And it was so: for he rose up early on the morrow, and thrust the fleece together, and wringed the dew out of the fleece, a bowl full of water.

39And Gideon said unto God, Let not thine anger be hot against me, and I will speak but this once: let me prove, I pray thee, but this once with the fleece; let it now be dry only upon the fleece, and upon all the ground let there be dew.

40And God did so that night: for it was dry upon the fleece only, and there was dew on all the ground.

All of these examples prove to me that I can question God, do dumb things and feel like I am 'not able' to accomplish a task and God will still understand and love me. He uses "incapable people to impossible tasks"...because we need HIS help to do them, HE gets ALL the glory!!!

So, when I am asking God AGAIN for an answer, I am confident that he will hear and know that I am wanting his excellent opinion.

A few days ago, I blogged about "The Promise" when I saw a rainbow. It reminded me of a time I was flying for business. We (my boss and I) were on the plane, off the plane due to severe weather at our destination. After multiple times of 'delays', I started to get worried. I walked over to the huge windows and said a simple prayer. "Lord, if you will keep us safe on that plane to reach our destination, I would like you to give me a sign... let me know all will be well." As looked out the window, I saw a RAINBOW! This filled my heart with peace... I LOVE the promise of a rainbow! But that was not all! I saw the OTHER END of the rainbow! The full arch was in front of me... total peace came! As they announced our boarding AGAIN, I marched onto the plane without hesitation. All was well. I had "heard" from my Father and he gave the 'go ahead'.

Nothing like getting the "green light" from heaven... HIS directions are always true, safe and the very BEST!

Keep asking, he doesn't know how to fail...

2 comments:

  1. Bravo! Great scripture body and wonderful ending! Especially for me because I just saw a full double rainbow on Friday. How amazing it was. God is the artist of the sky and he holds the ability to always let us know HE is ALIVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the third time in the last two days that I have heard that God is just waiting for us to ask Him for help. I think this is confirmation that I need to be more specific in my prayers. Thank you so much for this post!

    ReplyDelete