Wednesday, July 8, 2009

In the beginning

In the last post, I told you that I wanted to share some of my "Friends" in life...Well, here we go...

WOW! Have you ever tried to remember your first thought? Your first memory? How successful were you? Me? Not very...

I do remember always loving to sing. Our family was faithful members of the local Pentecostal assembly, so singing was the "weave" that strengthened our faith... proclaimed our love for such a great GOD!

So, when I was little and getting ready for church, I would go out into the yard and sing! I would sing to the flowers, the trees, the wind... making up words and melodies. How I wish I remembered those songs today!

There were two 'buddies' I had at the time that were an intricate part of my life. They were my cousins, Marla (5 years my senior) and Nila (just almost a year older than me!). Since we were 'neighbors' on "The Hill" (I'll have to take pictures and define "The Hill" to you soon!), we spent LOTS of time together. I actually remember them ALWAYS being there!... when I needed someone to eat my vegetables, or when I wanted to get my chores done quickly so I could go out to play, they always helped!

Home, Church, School...that was our life. When we were home, that meant running "The Hill" playing with ALL the cousins. Well, Marla, Nila and I (Hereafter known as "THE TRIO"), started singing. We would sit on the picnic benches, in our bedrooms, or in the "Little House" (This is the house that Grandpa Forsythe built for us!) and SING UP A STORM. I believe I was 7, Nila 8 and Marla 12 when we started on this journey...

At first, we just sang what 'we thought' sounded right! Marla sang lead and Nila and I sang TENOR! Yep, we could both hear that part! Then one day, Nila heard the ALTO part, and our three-part harmony sound was created. No formal training... just using the talents God gave us, we started singing ALL THE TIME! No Rambos, Bill Gaither or Happy Goodman albums were missed! We learned EVERY SONG by heart.

Since church was our life, we went to ALL the special services... Revivals, Youth Ralley's, Youth Weeks, "Second Saturday Sings" at Jewett, Camp Meetings... and THE TRIO was asked to sing at almost every one of them.

Marla, as the senior member, was our spokesperson. She would choose the song(s) we would sing at each occasion. We would always pray and ask God to use us to touch a heart, even if the occasion was a funeral. I cannot tell you the times we sang, "Only One Life" or "I'm Gonna Live So I Can Die Right" at these events! Street Meetings... the selections there were always, "Sweet, Sweet Song of Salvation" and "Jesus is the Only Way"- written by The Trio.

Another cousin, Sharon, (older sister to Nila and Marla) was our accompanist on the organ and Allen or Timmy would play the drums. After we were a little older, I started playing the piano for the group. What fun was had by all.

How I wish we had pictures of those times!!!! They would be fun to look at for sure. But, since our families were large and running on one income, there were not many pictures taken, or developed due to lack of financial backing!

The Trio sang together til I went to Jackson College of Ministries (JCM) in 1979, I was 17 years old.

Now, whenever I visit my 'home church from childhood', they still ask The Trio to sing. We will pull out "I Know He Loves Me" and "I've Got Jesus and That's Enough" like we did when we were young....yes, we are all middle-aged now! Hard to believe.

Sharing the times of singing with these dear friends, I realize that they were my first "true friends". I thank you Marla and Nila for being so good to me in every way. Sharing your time, laughs, clothes and food with me.

And you know that coolest part? I can still go up home (3 hours North), see one of these sweethearts, and start the conversation again...the one that never stops. That's what friendship is made up of... one life-long, never-ending conversation that starts and stops at any time.

3 comments:

  1. Bren, You made me cry reading this. What fun we had. So many wonderful memories.I'm so proud of you and look up to you for the wonderful person you are. nila

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the sweetest blog ever. I would love to hear The Trio. Those true friends are the ones that can always pick up at any given time and still be the same, loving friendships as before. Love that.

    ReplyDelete