Monday, June 8, 2009

What's in your sack?


I was always intrigued by the stories in the Bible about the "sower". With all the new machinery today, the image of a farmer planting seed is not common... well, maybe not for you, but it is in my part of the world.

That is one reason I love the "country", the "rural WV". Yes, we have our big cities (OK, not "BIG" to some points of view!) but with our beautiful scenic landscape, most residents of WV live in a "down-home, country" sort of way! A little bit of "take life easy" and "stop by and chat a while" mentality is still here and strong. I like that... always was a talker and it's always nice to have someone to talk to!

I can tell when Spring is on the way because the tractors come out in full force. You may get behind one on any stretch of road. Exasperating and hopeful at the same time....it means, "It's gardening time!"

The percentage of residents in my county have gardens. My, even some of them grow "organically correct" foods and offer them at "markets" (YUMMY!). I still do not believe there is anything better than fresh garden produce.... green onions, cabbage, leafy lettuce, ripe tomatoes, crispy cucumbers, new potatoes and my favorite, sweet corn on the cob! You can add a lot of your favorites to that list.

As I see the options for planting and growing, I also reflect on the spiritual options in my "spiritual" garden.

Each day is a fresh garden, with 'newly plowed' fields. Will I ruin it with bitterness, hatred, spiteful words, unfriendly acts? Or will I embrace it, marvel at it's wonder and allow the 'sweet' produce to take root and grow?

Random acts of kindness

Smiles to a stranger

Forgiveness by the bushels

Joy that spilleth over

Peace that confounds the wise

Gentle touches

and Faith that grows without boundaries

As I examine my limitless supply, I ask you.... what is in your "planting" sack of seeds today?

No comments:

Post a Comment