Thursday, June 11, 2009

Lessons Learned


I have a memory of a well-learned lesson...

It was of a time before McDonald's in our area. Mom wound take us every Saturday to go grocery shopping for the week. We would not shop in our little city, but go about 15 miles up the road, across the bridge from WV into Steubenville, OH, where there was no "food tax". She felt she was getting "more for her money, more BANG for her buck."

Each Saturday also held another fun event... we would eat lunch at a local "fast food restaurant". Ever heard of Border Burger? It was BEFORE Burger King. Well, Steubenville had a Border Burger and that is where we would grab a sandwich before heading back over the bridge towards home. Fun time... as a child, it's the little things that felt so HUGE and exciting.

Well, one day I remember clearly. Mom ordered me and my brothers a sandwich. The boys were older than me and growing quickly. They could eat quite a bit and then be hungry again a short while later... just normal routine for "growing boys". Mom had gotten the boys a "Big Burger" and me a Cheeseburger. I remember opening my sandwich... realizing that the boys had gotten bigger sandwiches than me and throwing a fit! Now, I was not a "fit-thrower" and don't remember doing so very often during my formative years, but I remember this one. I threw my sandwich down and said, "That's not fair".... and proceeded to "unsuccessfully" tell my Mom that I should have gotten a big sandwich, "Just like the boys". She explained that I was too little to handle a big sandwich (I "think" I was about 6 at the time!) and that I would either pick up the sandwich and eat or do without.

I have wondered through the years why I remembered that episode so clearly. I know that I was mad for a while, and even remember the hurt I felt while crying. I think it was the first time in my life that I realized that "life would not always be fair".

Why do I look back and share such an action? I think because many individuals are still throwing fits. I see it on a daily basis. Work related-issues that keep tempers heated, siblings who feel they are not treated evenly, a wife who thinks her husband gets to all the fun things.... and the list goes on.

ACCEPTANCE.

I do not mean that you are suppose to "resign" yourself to life. I have seen the defeated emotions in many and do not think that God is pleased if we loose the "spark, joy" out of our being! No!! But I do mean that the things that are true, just and absolute should be accepted. We shouldn't allow our "selfishness" and "wanting my own way" to interrupt our lives on a daily basis.

Sure, there are times our human nature would "think" that we want things differently. Stop and look.... count your blessings... take inventory. Categorize the good things and hold on to them tight. God, family, friends, health.... don't throw them away on a "whim" or "want". These are NEEDS and we need to protect them.

Will I ever get upset again of feel that I have been treated "Unfairly"? Yes, I am human. Will I let the anger of the unfairness turn to bitterness or total emotional upset? No. I learned a lesson that day and it has stuck.....lesson well learned.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, sweet little lamb. I can just imagine your tears.

    Sometimes I wish we didn't have to learn these lessons...that life isn't fair..but life (God!) throws in some great surprises too...surprises that we're not worthy of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bren, this just reminded me of somthing. I went somewhere with you and your mom, visited some relatives of yours maybe,I got sick in the car all over myself.Your mom made me take my dress of on the side of the road, I was so embarrassed! I was wearing a full slip. You remember those. Then she made me put on your red coat. I remember your mom explaining to the folks we were visiting why I couldn't take my, I mean ,.your coat off. Thanks for loaning me your coat lol nila

    ReplyDelete