Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Before Rachael Ray...I AM!


Who entitled Mrs. Rachael Ray with the "30 Minute Meal Queen" crown? What's that all about? Thirty minute meals have been around since....well, since housewives have been cooking, which has been like... forever!

I realize that kitchens (and cooks) have come a long way ~

The HOT kitchens ~ the huge stoves that had beans cooking on them all day long ~ the smell of hot rolls rising from the oven ~ homemade assortment of jellies in the pantry ~ cookies, fudge, cakes and pies....all with great ingredients (no box mixes here!) ~ sun tea on the porch ~ dinner meats and casseroles seasoned to perfection ~ recipe boxes full of scrumptious meals just waiting to be prepared.

Oh, those were the days! It would be nice to be able to keep up with all that "homemade goodness' in our homes.

BUT~

With life going by so fast, a quick meal is a "must" most of the time....we have places to go! Always must be somewhere, QUICK! Hence the need for a "quick meal".

My hubby is always amazed when I pull out a balanced meal. He can look in the fridge and cupboards and think "there is nothing to eat"! Half hour later I can have a meat, potato, vegetable and fruit sitting on the table.

It just takes a little planning ahead and a little "ingenuity" (I like that word! It means cleverness, skill, resourcefulness, originality and creativity....WOW! I like all of them there words! ).

I keep a few of the following staples in "stock" and will share a few quick tips with you!


ALWAYS keep these items on hand:

~ Velveeta Cheese

Velveeta has saved me at events more than once.

My kids have enjoyed cheese dip at our house (1/2 Big Box of Velveeta and one can of Rotel Tomatoes (w/chives)) for a LONG time (served with ANY type of tortilla chip). Way back when I attended Jackson College of Ministries (JCM- Yep, a few years ago:)), a dorm/house mother made this dip for us. I have used it ever since....before the recipe was on the cheese box! WAY before...OK, you get how long I have done this....a lot longer than Rachael Ray ever thought it up! :D

Velveeta also offers the BEST grilled cheese sandwiches, the best topping on vegetables ( I ALWAYS put cheese on my broccoli!) and even in my scrambled eggs and hashbrowns. Cheese is the best..... a gift from the gods for a cook!

~ Marshmallow

I pick up the cheap marshmallow cups at the Dollar Store around the holidays. They are inexpensive and so usable. Fudge and Hot Chocolate are not complete without these items. I make a pretty mean fudge and I ALWAYS use the Fantasy Fudge recipe off of the original Marshmallow Cream Jar!

Did you know that ANY FLAVOR of chips can make outstanding fudge? This last holiday season I experimented.....what fun! I made all kinds of fudge, like: Milk Chocolate, White Chocolate, Reese Cup, Peppermint Patty and Peanut Butter. You can add walnuts to any of the above, my favorite is black walnuts in the White Chocolate and regular walnuts in the Milk Chocolate.

Hot Chocolate is just not complete without a scoop of marshmallow on top! Yummy surprise! Pour in a few squirts of coffee and sprinkle with cinnamon and they'll think they've been to Starbucks!

~ Celery or Mushroom Soup

For those who do not like mushroom soup, celery soup will substitue just fine.

I prefer celery soup in my potato soup recipe and I use mushroom soup in multiple fashions. Example: After you brown your cube steaks (frying them in a skillet after rolling them in flour and seasonings) with onions, green peppers and mushrooms, you put your steaks in a slow pot with mushroom soup. Oh my, this is favorite way to make a "fall-apart, great tasting" cube steak. Gravy already made with the broth, just serve with Mashed Potatoes and a vegetable. Whalla!

Mushroom soup is also great in Green Bean Casserole and ~ believe it or not! Sausage Gravy. Another country cook I know shared this tip with me.... it so works! Will "thicken" just about anything in a pleasing manner!

~ Butter Flavored Crisco (BFC)

BFC is the best!

My mother-in-law has perfected the deer steak recipe. She takes the choice deer cuts, pounds them thin! (I mean, you can see through the meat!) and browns them in the BFC. Of course she rolls them in flour and seasonings like I do my cube steak. She then COVERS them in onions in her slow pot. She puts VERY LITTLE water. Just enough to moisten. The steaks have the BEST taste and fall apart......Perfection!

~ Cans of LIGHT Fruit

Due to some of my family having Diabetes, I try to get the canned fruit that is in LIGHT syrup. This lower sugar content is better for EVERYONE! I try to always have two or three seasonal fresh fruits in the house to snack on. Well, when you have company (sometimes you were NOT expecting!), you can open some fruit and cut up your fresh fruit....instant dessert! If you are lucky enough to have an angel food cake, sponge cake or Cool Whip, you can top this selection off with style! Spread on some ice cream toppings (chocolate, strawberry, pineapple, nuts...) and you have a real "tropical" treat!

~ Cream Cheese

Our family just cannot survive without our cream cheese. It can be purchased now in Light and Fat Free varieties!

We put cream cheese in our instant mashed potatoes over 25 years ago! Now you can find recipes for its use everywhere.

We used to have dinners for the church and once I heard a lady say, "I come here for the homemade mashed potatoes, they are the best I have ever eaten!" while I was pouring in the instant potatoe flakes! :) We just boil the water, butter, canned milk (I'll get to that item next!) and cream cheese... add the flakes to your liking (consistency). Salt/Pepper to taste.

My mother-in-law (since I have learned so much from her, I'm sure you already know she is like the best country cook, EVER!) uses cream cheese in her shredded chicken recipe. (Using chicken pieces, dressing, cream cheese, onions, cream of chicken soup/chicken gravy and baking to a golden perfection.

Cream cheese makes the best cheese balls, dessert toppings and dip. Multiple recipes can be found using this wonderful creation! Nothing like mixing some cream cheese and cool whip for a wonderful fruit dip...for color/flavor, add some Kool-Aid packets. Sugar if you must...remember, Splenda is a GREAT sugar substitute!

~ Canned Milk

Since I love to make the fudge, canned milk is a common staple in the cabinet.

Canned milk can also be used in/on: Gravy, Instant Mashed Potatoes and Hot Chocolate.

As I go, I have to share a really quick, refreshing recipe, it's called Pineapple Surprise. Take a can of clunked pineapples (the smaller the better), drain them, add them to a container of cottage cheese and instant vanilla pudding. This is one of the most tasty, refreshing desserts out there....quick and easy too! I have "modified" this recipe and used pistachio pudding for a very tasty option! Use your imagination....the cottage cheese serves as a quick "pudding" option to add your flavorings to.

These are just a few "quick" tips that I use. Want to share some of your "quickes" with me? Would love to hear from you....drop me a comment....everyone loves a new recipe/idea. We do have to eat, right? May as well spice it up right....:D

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm, you're making me hungry!!! Would love to eat your cookin'...

    Fresh lemons are what I can't do without...

    I use them on the broiled chicken...pasta dishes...veggies...

    Here's a good quick meal:

    Spaghetti noodles
    Parmesan cheese
    Tomatoes, chopped
    Butter
    Lemon
    Salt & Pepper

    Melt the butter and pour over hot noodles, add cheese and tomatoes, douse with as much lemon and salt & pepper as you want. The kids love this. (And they're not even big tomato fans)

    When we have fresh fish, we throw that in too.

    ReplyDelete