Friday, June 26, 2009

Off the page, into our hearts


I get multiple 'Forwards' in my email Inbox daily. Most of these messages I screen very carefully. Due to "beware of suspicious materials", I am careful in opening attachments. Some of them may be "harmful to your health" or at the very least, your PC's health!

Sometimes, I get an inspirational quote or story that really affects me! I love those kind. Each day I like to read a scripture, quote or article that will motivate me in a positive manner.

Well, the other day I received a list that was really good! It actually surprised me ~ it covered so many areas that I TRY to work on.. on a daily basis. (You will notice my emphasis on TRY!). I did find humor in the fact that this listing had 36 points. Why 36? I would have written 35 or 40, not 36! But since it is not my list, I do not get to critique... just enjoy!

Now, I want to share this list with you. If you only get ONE new idea or purpose out of this reading, it will be worth it. We should all be striving to make each day better than the next.... hope something hops "off the page, into your heart"... just like the daily WORD does. Encouraging, Enlightening, Moving and Inspirational.

The numbered points were written "anonymously"... the comments are by 'yours truly'!

1. Pray

This is a must. We cannot do without talking to the MASTER. His guidance and direction are imperative. (Also, his correction, OUCH!) Heard the saying years ago: "One week without prayer makes one weak". TRUE!

2. Go to bed on time.

This is a hard one for me! I am a night owl and (need to be) an early riser. These two combinations do not mix very well (oil & water comes to mind!).

3. Get up on time so you can start the day unrushed.

Man, do I go through 'spells' of getting this one, the 'NOT' getting it! It is true that starting the day out early, having a plan, preparing the day "unhurried" has it's definite advantages! Like, less ulcers!


4. Say No to projects that won't fit into your time schedule, or
that will compromise your mental health.


It is just so HARD to say "NO"! Especially if it is a project that you LOVE to do! Why do I LOVE so many different projects!?? Gets me in trouble EVERY TIME! Never thought of the "mental health" angle...really need to research that one!

5. Delegate tasks to capable others.

This has always been my major weakness. I like to be 'in control'. That is one of my strengths and weaknesses. It is VERY hard for me to trust others to do something that I envision. Will they do it as productively as I do? Will they care passionately about the task? I ask these questions over and over.

6. Simplify and un-clutter your life.

WOW! This one "SLAPS" me! I am a 'collector'. Was thinking on this very idea the other day. I surround myself with all my favorite things. This can really clutter up a life, desk, house.... MUST SIMPLIFY, MUST RED UP AND CLEAN OUT...

I need to set goals like:
~ If I haven't worn it in a year...it's gone.
~ I WILL file all my paperwork from work, church and personal 'stuff' in ONE area. (Why do I think I need to start a new file every time I begin filing? How many Electric Bill folders do I need? Obsessive Compulsive filer, I AM!)
~ Limit the number of "knickknacks" I can hold on to! Always said that if something happened to me, my girls would get so mad at me for collection so much stuff/junk! Most of it only has sentimental value to ME!

7. Less is more. (Although one is often not enough, two are often
too many.)


This one correlates strongly with #6. I want to apply this one more to my eating habits also! Still trying to get off some more "poundage". Mentally telling myself that a couple bites is better than a whole plate full of my favorite dishes. Gotta really "pshyc" myself up on this point....

8. Allow extra time to do things and to get to places.

My husband is my greatest help in this area! He is on time/every time. Too early most of the time! We ALWAYS leave to church an HOUR before it starts. Always have, always will...even earlier if we have something that needs attending to. There is no, "Where is the Pastor, is he coming tonight?". Nope. Present and accounted for.

Me on the other hand....I can get "caught up" and "side-tracked" in enjoying everything around me. That keeps me 'jumping from pillar to post' sometimes. Need to be more 'concentrated' on my task/goal. My "multi-tasking" can get out of hand at times....

9. Pace yourself. Spread out big changes and difficult projects
over time; don't lump the hard things all together.


I really like this challenge! Spreading out the "BIG" things would be so beneficial! Why didn't I think of that? :)


10. Take one day at a time.

Jesus spoke so much on "Take no thought of tomorrow, for tomorrow will take care of itself". Takes lots of patience to let this happen in your life. Sometimes I feel the need to "accomplish" or step in and "save the day".... I need to really loosen up in this regard!

11. Separate worries from concerns.

If a situation is a concern,find out what God would have you do and let go of the anxiety. If you can't do anything about a situation, forget it.

12. Live within your budget; don't use credit cards for ordinary
purchases.


OH MY! We live in a world of "Give me what I want NOW". That extends ALL of our budgets and allows anxiety and frustration to creep in. Must do better on curbing my "want" appetite.

13. Have backups; an extra car key in your wallet, an extra house
key buried in the garden, extra stamps, etc.


I can actually say that I have finally go this one down! With the help of my hubby AGAIN, we have backup keys EVERYWHERE!

My sister and daughters have had their fair share of problem with this matter. I won't go into detail, but MANY keys have been made and lost through the years! A certain young lady just recently got locked out of her new home AND her car within weeks of each other... I think she is finally getting the "can't have too many extra keys" lesson down!


14. K.M.S. (Keep Mouth Shut).

This single piece of advice can prevent an enormous amount of trouble. AMEN and AMEN! I used to wonder why Jesus said "Let your conversation be Yeah and Na". That is as simple as it gets folks! With my girls being married now, my advise needs to be asked for, not always supplied!

15. Do something for the Kid in “You” everyday.

I'm all about this! Yep, fun stuff still appeals to me! Keeps you young. Research says that kids laughs hundreds of times a day, while adults on in the low two digits....not wonder we need "laughter" medicine sometimes!

16. Carry a Bible with you to read while waiting in line.

This is awesome advise. Have done this at times in the past...need to resurrect this action. POWERFUL!

17. Get enough rest

You are no good to God or ANYONE if you are worn out!

18. Eat right.

A very vital part of living longer, more healthy and happier!

19 Get organized so everything has its place.

ORDER and PEACE go hand in hand!

20. Listen to a tape while driving that can help improve your
quality of life.


I ALWAYS have a CD in the player while traveling. The new Sara Renner project is speaking to me right now! (Thanks GA for the gift!) I'm not as much into inspirational talks...need to look into doing that more often.

21. Write down thoughts and inspirations.

I DO write down my thoughts and inspirations...the problem is, there are too many notebooks! Bits of 'ideas' can be found EVERYWHERE! My purse, my bible, my desk....Must refer to #19, QUICKLY!

22. Every day, find time to be alone.

This is SO vital! You can recoup and regroup your thoughts. Spend time 'taking inventory' without the noise of life coming through. These times are great to be ALONE, but not ALONE. Just you and God. He is the best. Always there... when you want to talk and when you just want to be silent.

23. Having problems?

Talk to God on the spot. Try to nip small problems in the bud. Don't wait until it's time to go to bed to try and pray. By then, it's usually sleepy time before you even get part way down your 'list'.

24. Make friends with Godly people.

Cannot even describe how important this is....making friends with Godly people. Hanging out with those who will encourage, strengthen and CHALLENGE you! I want to be better every day. I cannot do that with negativity and ungodliness surrounding me.

25. Keep a folder of favorite scriptures on hand.

I love my "favorites" and try to add more...need to make that a daily requirement.

26. Remember that the shortest bridge between despair and hope is
often a good 'Thank you Jesus.'


Thankfulness is the key to happiness. Found this to be true in every aspect of my life!


27. Laugh.

28. Laugh some more!


29. Take your work seriously, but not yourself at all.

We must realize that we are important, but not the MOST IMPORTANT. Keep it all in perspective...


30. Develop a forgiving attitude (most people are doing the best
they can).


One of the greatest lessons I have learned in my own life is: Allow people to "BE" who they are... accept the love they give and DO NOT be mad at them for not being who you think you 'want/need' them to be. They are what they are/You are what you are....Acceptance.

31. Be kind to unkind people (they probably
need it the most).


Yes. The same can be said of love...Jesus told us to love the unlovable...herein is the love of Christ shown.

32. Sit on your ego

Double WOW! Is my ego so big sometimes that I cannot even sit on it? Thought provoking....

33 Talk less; listen more.

This is something I need to work on. I love to listen, but sometimes like to "share" so much that I am talking more than I should.

34. Slow down.

Hard to do when your "plate is too full". Quiet times, slower times are so enjoyable. Must put them on my schedule more often...

35. Remind yourself that you are not the general manager of the universe.

I ain't? Well, that was a new revelation! Don't we all think that the world revolves around US! Reality check... lots more going on out there than just my little circle...LOTS MORE!


36 Every night before bed, think of one thing you're grateful for that you've never been grateful for before.

Love this. Always looking for ways to be thankful and things to be thankful for. Counting your blessings is a must...daily!

Love the song that THE ISAACS sing:

Thank you for the things that I've never thanked you for
You've given everything I need, still I ask for more
Not that I'm ungrateful, I'm just forgetful Lord
So, I thank you for the things that I've never thanked you for

What a list. If I could just read this every day and find new ways to apply the points, I would be a better person all around. I better get started RIGHT NOW!

How about you? Is there goals in your life that help you on a daily basis? Share, PLEASE. I love to hear from YOU!

Blessing to you to accomplish all the good things you have desired to accomplish today! :)

2 comments:

  1. Great list. If I can accomplish 10 of them, I will be a better person. Gonna have to work on these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW... I'm bookmarking this one - definitely my new goal is to strive for each of these things on a daily basis.

    Awesome!

    ReplyDelete