Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Guess What?


As soon as we hear the words, "Guess What?...." we respond, "What?". It is human nature. We want to know what is going on everywhere to everyone.

Did you know that _______________? Gossip... it can be deadly.

There is someone I know that thinks he has to tell me a (negative) statement about someone every time he sees me. Each time I try to ignore the statement or say, "I just don't want to hear that right now, OK?" Just because I am the preacher's wife, doesn't mean I need to know all the "dirt". I would rather not.

I want to think good of others. A wise man once said, "You need to forgive. You may see someone sin and go off "spreading the word" on the act. That person may have felt convicted, went before God, repented and received forgiveness. Meantime, you are off telling everyone of his horrible deeds. Who is the sinner now?" WISE WORDS!

He also said, "Always forgive and keep the door open for a sinner, you never know when they will see the error of their ways and want to return home (back to the house of the Lord). If you don't forgive and talk about them, they will not feel the need to return....such a loss."

Gossip destroys, lies are harsh and unrelenting. Nothing hurts quite as bad as a mean, bold-faced lie. God has a few things to say about feet that spread those type of actions....


Proverbs 6:16-19 (King James Version)

16These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:

17A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,

18An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,

19A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.


My GOODNESS! In reading this, I realize that if someone has a gossiping nature, they can be guilty of FIVE (5) of the SEVEN (7) things that God HATES! He doesn't just "not like"....HE HATES THESE THINGS....Why? Because they DESTROY! God likes to encourage, built up, multiply, inspire....not destroy!

Yes, a heart that lies, deviseth wicked thoughts, runs to tell about it, bears false witness and sows all that garbage to everyone he/she sees...... well, you ought to stay FAR away from such a person. Bit-O-Wisdom...if they will talk about someone else in a untruthful manner, they will talk about you! Sweet and Sour water cannot come from the same spicket... a fountain cannot flow with clean and dirty water at the same time!

I want to keep my spiritual radar out. Not to be quick to criticize, but to be able to "know good from evil". I don't want to believe lies, think bad thoughts about someone or run and spread the "nasty news".

Whatsoever things are TRUE, honest, just, pure, holy, lovely and of a good report....I want to fill my mind with these things.

I see others just wanting to know the BAD News ~ Did you hear who murdered who? ~ Did you know that so-and-so were in jail for such-and-such? ~ Did you know who was in trouble this week...AGAIN? Their mind is just full of "negative data". No inspiration there...all "doom and gloom".

The Golden Rule in Biblical language:

Matthew 7:12
Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Good things.....My Dad had a saying, "Think Good Thoughts!". He used it often when I was growing up. Whenever negative or harmful things were being spoken, he would use this phrase. What true, profound instruction.

Today, if I cannot say or think anything nice, I will aspire to say nothing at all. May I guard my tongue AND my ears. Lord, let me be careful to not only say anything evil against another, and not allow myself to listen or agree with anyone else who does the same.

AMEN. Join me, hope you only have nice things to say....:)




1 comment: