Friday, September 4, 2009

I smell the bread...


I LOVE the smell of bread in the oven...do you?

At work (here at the county senior center!), I get to smell homemade bread baking at least twice a week. YUM, YUM... makes me hungry just getting a "whiff". Sometimes, I sneak down and get a "hot one" right after it comes out of the oven! No fair, I know! My cook, Ellen, can do white or wheat and they are delectable!

OK, now to my own blog... today I am going to show you some of the "fruits of my labors". My hubby LOVES banana bread, so lately, I have been picking up RIPE BANANAS at the grocery store (You can get them cheap you know?) and making him some. Over the weeks, I have 'experimented' with different combinations...

Like, adding raisins, some cinnamon, even zucchini...YES, we have decided that the Banana/zucchini combination is our FAVORITE!



So, I will get the "old" recipe (that I dug out from a quaint recipe book done by the Summers family!) and share it with you...of course it is "altered" to include the zucchini that we all agree increases the flavor!


So, here it is (in my own words, just in case you cannot read the picture above!):

Get you a loaf pan, a cupcake pan (that makes 12) or some small loaf pans (I have three that equal one loaf pan ~ so cute!).

Spray them down with non-stick spray (or the old-fashioned way my Ma taught me ~ wipe the butter in there and cover/shake in the flour...works just as well!).

Add 1 cup sugar (or split 1/2 honey or 1/2 brown sugar for some interesting tastes! Hey, it's YOUR recipe, you "doctor it up"! 2 eggs, 1/3 cup butter, 1 2/3 flour (I use self-rising so I don't have to buy all those OTHER ingredients), chopped nuts (as much as you would like!), 2 or 3 ripe (mashed) bananas and at least 2 small (or one big) zucchini (now, I peel the zuchinni, but you do not have to, just shred it!).

Mix all these ingredients together (throw in any other spices you dare! I love to add some Cinnamon!) and bake on 350.

Now, the loaf pan takes at least an hour to bake...but the cupcakes and little loaf pans will be done within 20-25 minutes...watch them! If your oven bakes fast, you better be a watchin'! Burnt bread is not the desired outcome!

So, when I take these tasty morsels out of the oven, I load the butter on top and smear butter on them and eat them HOT! My, my.... nothing like it, fo sho!

Hope you bake you up a nice, tasty batch of banana bread, or other homemade treat! You and your family will enjoy immensely!

Tell me what ingredients you/your family like....I've had some say they like the raisins, others said theirs enjoy chocolate chip cookie chips)....let me know, I'm all about whipping up another batch just to try! :)

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm...those loaves look perfect.

    I love mine with chocolate chips, but we usually do them without..no nuts either...just warm, with butter on top...yum.

    ReplyDelete